Monday, May 5, 2008

4 overtimes and a Lesson

Listen,
I just got finished watching the Stars beat the Sharks in quadruple overtime. That means 3 periods of regulation (20 minutes each) 3 full periods of OT (also 20 minutes each) and part of another period. (for those of you who kind of suck, I am talking about the Dallas Stars and the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League (NHL)... and yes they do still play hockey in America.) It was freaking amazing.

Now its time for my rant of the day.
While at work today, well yesterday as I see it is almost 12:30 am Monday... Anyway, a girl, or should I say lady, comes up to the pharmacy and asks me to fill her birth control. I look on her profile and inform her that she is out of refills and I (meaning the pharmacy, not me personally) need to contact her doctor for refill authorization. She replies, "but I am supposed to start taking it tonight!" I just stare at her blankly for a moment and say, I'm sorry, but I (again meaning the pharmacy) need to contact your doctor for refills, to which she responds, "but I am supposed to start taking it tonight!" At this point I say, "I am sorry, we'll call first thing tomorrow morning." She looks at me as if I have just made a nasty comment about her mother, and asks me, "so what am I supposed to do?" So I say, "give us a call tomorrow afternoon to see if your doctor has responded to our call." She says, "won't you call me?" "No, you may want to call your doctor too tomorrow morning if it is that urgent, otherwise give us a call tomorrow afternoon." She huffs and storms out of the store.
Unfortunately for me, she has hurt my feelings deeply with her sour faces and angry departure from the store. I just don't know how I will go on with my life knowing that this poor woman will not be able to start her birth control tonight... I just can't put into words the depth of my misery. (italics added for emphasis)

So here is the lesson:
If it is vital that you take a particular medication on a particular day please, for the love of man, make sure that one of the following occurs:
1. Make sure that you have a prescription with sufficient refills before coming to the pharmacy after having taken the last of your pills.
2. Look in your bottle, or in your packet (in the case of most birth control pills) and you see that you have enough pills for the next few times you need to take it, especially to get through a weekend or holiday, (when most doctors are out of the office.) If it is getting low, go ahead and call your pharmacy... Most insurance companies will pay for medication when you have used 80% of it ((that means if you have a prescription for 30 tablets that you take 1 tablet per day, you can refill it when you have taken 24 of the tablets... that means you can call in your script (pharmacy slang for prescription) 6 days early.)) This gives the pharmacy a couple days to contact your doctor in case you are out of refills. Amazing.
3. If you are out of refills make sure to come to the pharmacy and attempt to give the pharmacist a guilt trip. This will not work. He or she (the pharmacist) couldn't give a rat's ass that you are out of refills and "need" to start your birth control that night (I don't anyway.) Just use a freaking condom for prophylaxis and shut up... Or you could just practice abstinence... this is what I wish your parents had done in the first place.

Sorry for the long post... I just had to get that out.

Also, thank you to all who made Brady's birthday celebration a success. We all had a lot of fun. You are all great, wonderful people.

1 comment:

Kristin Sokol said...

Some suggestions:

Make a sign, maybe a few signs. You know, the kind they used in primary with popcicle sticks for handles. The signs coud say things like:

Not my fault

There really is nothing I (this pharmacy) can do for you right now

You are responsible for your actions, I (this pharmacy) can't clean up your mess

It could be worse...you could be me trying to help you

I wish I could have been there to see you trying to help this woman. What did she think you were going to do, slip her one to get her by? This isn't Mexico.

Next time something like this happens, you should try to change the subject by telling a really good joke, or giving a review of a new movie. Maybe they'll forget they have a problem they expect your help with.