Monday, July 11, 2011

Back from Vacation

 
Listen,
I just got back from vacation.  We went up to Washington for a family reunion and to stay a few days with Hana's brother Marcus and his family.  Here are a few things I wanted to share about going on this trip.
1. Here is an excerpt of nearly every conversation I had when telling somebody where I was going on vacation:
-Random Person: "Where are you going on vacation?
-Me: "Washington"
-Random Person: "State?"
-Me: "Yes."
Now, if I were going to take a trip to our nation's capital, the conversation would go like this:
-Random person: "Where are you going on vacation?"
-Me: "Washington D.C."
Maybe it's just me, but when somebody says "Washington" I assume state unless they tell me otherwise.  I don't know…
2. This is what Brady had to say whilst urinating on watering some wildflowers on the side of I-90 somewhere in Montana:  "This is a lot like a water fountain, only grosser."  
3. Free hotel breakfast is one of my favorite things.  On one occasion I ate 3 Belgian waffles, one breakfast burrito, (eggs, bacon, and sausage), and two biscuits with country gravy.  I washed this all down with 5 glasses of POG (passion fruit, orange, and guava) juice.  Using IHOP's online menu as a resource, I figure I ate upwards of $30 of food that morning.  Not to mention what the boys and Hana ate.  I bet we took them for $50 that day.  Take that Best Western Plus Kennewick Inn.
4. Red Vines and Swedish Fish are my 2 favorite snacks to eat in the car.
5. I hate people that do not understand how to drive on a 2 lane highway.  This seemed to occur more frequently in Utah than in Idaho, Oregon, Washington (state), or Montana.   

3 comments:

Dan said...

1. I ran into the same problem on our trip to Washington (state) last year. Especially living west of the Rockies you'd think that people would assume Washington State. I got to the point where I threw in "Seattle" just to alleviate confusion, even though that wasn't really our destination.

2. On a related note, I don't think most people realize what fish do in lakes and reservoirs.

3. You can't beat free hotel POG, and finding a hotel that serves breakfast burritos is like the holy grail of hotel stays. Dare I say, the "Hotel Grail"?

4. Red Vines and Swedish Fish are definitely at the top of the list, but on long trips you have to counter the sugar with the salt of some cashews.

5. Ditto.

Bob said...

I love the idea of cashews in the car. A couple years ago, we tried snacking on pistachios on a trip to California (state), but I got tired of dropping shells between the seats and gave up on them. Cashews are the answer.

Kristin Sokol said...

I'll take your cashews and raise you some M&M and raisins. There is almost nothing in the world I wouldn't do to eat the Kirkland version of trail mix. I love it. I live to eat it. Also, congratulations on the hotel breakfast burrito. That's unheard of. It's almost worth a vacation in and of itself. Where was that located again?

It sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing the highlights.