Thursday, April 1, 2010

A "Simple" Milky Way?

Listen,

I did not bring a lunch to work today.  I don't bring a lunch to work a lot of days.  Usually I can keep the hunger at bay by downing another Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke, Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Mountain Dew Code Red, Coke Zero, or the like, but not today.  I decided to peruse the vending machines in the break room.  I try not to do this very often, because the food sold in vending machines is generally not healthy food.  There are exceptions to this, like down on BYU's campus I used to buy sandwiches or apples out of vending machines.  One of the vending machines here has yogurt, string cheese, milk, and Pop Tarts.  Maybe Pop Tarts aren't healthy.  Last time I experimented at the vending machine, I ended up with a strange and unsatisfying bag of Sun Chips: Spicy Chipotle and you all know how that turned out...   Well I saw something there at station F4 that caught my eye, a Milky Way Simply Caramel candy bar.  I have a long standing love of the Milky Way candy bar.  I don't remember exactly when I was introduced to the Milky Way Dark candy bar, but I enjoy them a great deal as well.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Snickers candy bar, but I am not always in the mood for something "packed with peanuts."  The 3 Musketeers candy bar is not one that I like very much at all, especially since the reformulated them.  Last Halloween I stole a 3 Musketeers Mint candy bar from Brady's stash and regretted it dearly… yuck!!!  Back to the Milky Way Simply Caramel candy bar;  I thought to myself, "Hmmm… a Milky Way candy bar is simple enough as it is, caramel, nougat, and chocolate."  Then I thought about See's Chocolates.  (They are my favorite kind of chocolates, by the way.)  I thought about how my favorite favorite is the dark chocolate truffle, but my second favorite is their standard caramel.  "What the heck," I said out loud, but not loudly enough for people to think that I am crazy and talking to myself.  The Milky Way Simply Caramel candy bar is just caramel covered in chocolate.  It was a darn fine treat!!!  I am grateful to report a pleasant vending machine experience to you all.  I think Steve would like this candy bar. (I am speaking specifically about my brother Steve, not just any random Steve, but you never know who might enjoy one of these)

 

In case you were wondering, here are my top 10 candy bars in no particular order.

Butterfinger Crisp

Take 5 Peanut Butter

Take 5

Milky Way

Whatchamacallit

Almond Joy

Kit-Kat

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups*

Caramello

Snickers

 

*I am not sure if these count as a candy bar since they are "cups" but I am counting them anyway.  I did not count Peanut Butter M&Ms, Reese's Pieces, or Junior Mints cause they are obviously not candy bars.

 

 

In other news, we went and saw How to Train Your Dragon.  I loved it and so did Brady. 


 
 

7 comments:

Erika W said...

What about 100 Grand...Does that not rate?

Kristin Sokol said...

What about 100 Grand, does that not rate?

Erika's comment was really mine. She as over at my house today and I didn't realize she was signed in to blogger when I left that comment.

HSBahr said...

You always make me laugh out loud.

Ava Nielson said...

uhm, you love caramel yet I see no Twix mentioned...come on!

Bob said...

Kristin - the 100 grand is okay, but just not great

HSBahr - you are easily amused

Ava (Joi) - I just don't like the cookie part of the Twix. When I was younger, I would chew the caramel and chocolate off the top and leave the nasty cookie part behind. Now, I just don't waste my time on them with all the better options.

Dan said...

The only good part about a 3 Musketeers bar is trying to eat all the chocolate off without eating the nasty stuff in the middle. It's possible, but it takes a lot of patience and your fingers get sticky.

I, too, tried the Milky Way Simply Caramel bar from a vending machine about a month ago, and almost went back for a second. They're pretty good. I think I first began my love affair with the Milky Way bar on my mission, except over in Italy the Milky Way bar was called the Mars bar.

Snickers bars would be a lot better without all those nasty peanuts. I guess the peanuts are okay, but there are just too many of them. Oddly, though, I like the salted nut rolls, but primarily for the salty-sweet goodness of the center.

Many years ago Twix was experimenting with various flavors. They had a cookies and cream Twix that was really good. I haven't seen it in awhile, though.

I've always found it interesting that Almost Joy and Mounds are the first anatomically-distinguished candy bar duo. (One has nuts, the other has mounds [hopefully this comment doesn't change the PG rating of your blog]).

Mmm... Candy bars...

Dave said...

Knocking on Twix bars is just low. Twix has done nothing but bring you that commercial and song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm6SqkQiVhE

I bask in the Twix glory, I like your top 10 except for the butterfinger stuff.