Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sun Chips: Spicy Chipotle...My thoughts

Listen,


So I just finished eating me first bag of Sun Chips: Spicy Chipotle, which claim on the package to have a "great multigrain taste!" Generally speaking, I like Sun Chips. I do not know the names of all the different varieties of Sun Chips, but I know that I like the ones in the blue bag and the ones in the orange bag. I do not care much for the ones in the green bag. Well, the Sun Chips: Spicy Chipotle come in a red bag. If you know me, then you know that I like spicy stuff. I'm not sadistic or anything, but as the previous "Next Food Network Star," Aaron McCargo Jr. always says, "I like a little heat in there."


So here is how it went down. I was sitting at my desk around 1:30 this afternoon. I brought a chocolate muffin from home for breakfast, but ate my apple instead which left my muffin for lunch. I ate my chocolate muffin at about 1pm and I was feeling like I wanted a snack, you know, something to chase the chocolaty goodness with. I got to the vending machine and put my money in, with the intention of buying the Sun Chips: Orange Bag Flavor when out of the corner of my eye I saw the red bag of the Sun Chips: Spicy Chipotle. My interest was piqued, so I decided to go for it. Besides, I hadn't opened my third Diet Pepsi yet, so if they were indeed spicy I would be covered. The walk back to my desk was excruciating, as I could not wait to open this new snack food item. With trembling fingers and salivary glands in full action I opened the red bag of Sun Chips: Spicy Chipotle. I wafted the scent of the chips toward my nose. They smelled good, but not spicy. I plunged my hand into the red bag and withdrew a single chip. They have the general appearance of all of the Sun Chips that I have previously encountered with the additional of some flecks of red powdery substance, which I assumed to be the "Spicy Chipotle". I placed the entire chip into my mouth, dove in headfirst if you will. What a letdown. While they tasted pretty good, the "Spicy Chipotle" seasoning was not nearly spicy enough. I finished the bad without requiring one swig of my Diet Pepsi!!! What sadness I felt after discarding the empty bag of chips into my garbage receptacle. Now I am left with a Sun Chip: Spicy Chipotle after taste which my Diet Pepsi is not curing.


-On a scale of spiciness with 1 being milk and 10 being the hottest thing I've ever eaten, I would give these a 2.5.


-On a tastiness scale with 1 being unsalted, unbuttered popcorn and 10 being my sister Hayley's Pecan-Cream Cheese Pie, I would give these a 1.5. For reference, I would give Sun Chips: Blue Bag Flavor and Sun Chips: Orange Bag Flavor a 2.5.


-On likelihood a of buying again scale with 1 being a prescription from Smith's Market Place Pharmacy ever again and 10 being an ice-cold Coke Zero on a hot summer day, I would give them a 1.


Oh well.


That is all.




7 comments:

Jacquelynn said...

Has this turned into a food blog?

Kristin Sokol said...

I look forward to hearing more of your snack food reviews in the future.

Dan said...

I, too, enjoy the occasional multi-grain goodness of a bag of Sun Chips, although I've never ventured into the "unoriginal" flavors (meaning I only eat the original flavor, not that the other flavors aren't, in fact, "original", because there are some pretty creative ones).

It's good to know I'm not missing much by never having tried the red bag.

Bob said...

@ Jacquelynn - why not, I like food and if it gets me to post more I guess its a good thing

@ Kristin - I will try to keep you informed of all my new snack food eating experiences.

@ Dan - You should try the orange-bag-flavor. Hana told me they are called "Harvest Cheddar" or somesuch. Harvest Cheddar makes no sense to me and I think it is a really dumb name for a chip flavor, but the chips are good.

Misty Moncur said...

I never thought about Harvest Cheddar being harvest and cheddar. Harvest? What the?

I found myself wondering if your excruciating walk back to your desk wasn't in fact caused by something other than your impatience to dive into a bag of chips. I was thinking it might have had something to do with an apple pie and a ginormous chocolate muffin and two diet pepsis for breakfast....

Interestingly, my word verification "word" is "ossiful." You know, like "Ossiful I want to barf!"

Anonymous said...

Grrrr....I wish people wouldn't post stuff like this about these chips. They are literally the BEST chips I have had in my entire life, and now I can't find them nowhere. If you want real spicy, go for jalapeƱo chips, it's always a sure thing

Bob said...

no, these chips were freaking nasty...worst Sun Chips ever.