Thursday, May 7, 2009

Busted...

Listen,

So I know that baseball is not on everyone’s list of things they care about, but it is on mine so here you go.

So, if you know me, you know that I am a Dodgers’ Fan. I’m not sure when it all began, but I can never remember a time in my life that I was not a fan of the Dodgers. Most likely, it’s a result of my dad’s love of the Dodgers. Some people may not even recognize me without my Dodgers hat on. Go figure…

Anyway, last fall I posted about the Dodgers making a trade to get Manny Ramirez. For those who don’t know, many people feel that he may be the greatest hitter of this era. He hits for power and average. He has a reputation of being a little lazy and times, but people put up with it for the most part because he is just so freaking good.

So, the Dodgers got him and he led them to the playoffs where he was amazing. He was hitting homeruns like a machine and really seemed to provide a much needed spark to the team. The fans loved him, the players loved him… life seemed so good.

This summer he signed a new contract to make something in the neighborhood of $22 million a year and many Dodgers fans were happy to have him securely on the team.

The Dodgers have been playing amazingly well so far this season. In fact, they just broke the record for most consecutive home wins to start a season. The record had previously been held by the Detroit Tigers who set the record in 1911… yes, you read that correctly 1911. The record had stood for nearly 100 years and my Dodgers just broke it. As I read this story on ESPN.com this morning I was almost giddy with dreams of World Series Champs and all that. Then, just before 11 o’clock I get a text from my sister-in-law Mandy telling me to check out ESPN.com…

It was like a sucker punch to the gut… a slap in the face… a kick to the groin…


Manny Tests Positive




Give me a freaking break for crying out loud…

Why do I love sports?

Why do I even care?

Why?
...
...
Why?

5 comments:

Kristin Sokol said...

You need to lower your expectations. Then you won't be disappointed in life.

Ryan said...

Bob, funny thing is you are the first person (actually, the only person) I thought of when I heard the news. I knew you would be disappointed... Sorry.

Bob said...

Kristin...
I've have upped my expectations...
so up yours...
ha!

Kristin Sokol said...

Bob...They are building an In-and-Out in Riverton at 12600 South and Bangerter Hwy. So up yours and come out and try it.

Funy thing...Steve said he also thought of you first when he heard the news so he checked your blog which was updated with the news.

Misty Moncur said...

What makes me laugh is you are treating this like it is news!