Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cursive Sucks...

Listen,
I just finished reading a ridiculous article on ksl.com.  The article asks the question: "Should Kids Still Learn Cursive Writing?"   I don't even want to link to it because of the stupidity of it, but for your "enjoyment" here is the link.   The article quotes Granite School District literacy coach Tricia Bromka in support of teaching cursive.  I do not know Tricia Bromka nor do I know what qualifies her to be a "literacy coach".  What I do know, is that she makes some very weak arguments for why cursive should be taught in our schools.  The following are some of her arguments (in bold) and my response to that argument:
 
1. "If you don't allow access to that form of writing, then you are taking away knowledge and knowledge is power"  You're kidding right?  We don't teach our children how to build bombs or cook methamphetamine in school either, so I guess by withholding that knowledge we are depriving them of additional power.
 
2. "One report showed writing in cursive helps your brain … handwriting is connected to higher-order thinking skills. If you are struggling over how to write every time, your fluency goes down."   I can show you one report to prove just about anything…how about a reference?  And if you are concerned about kids "struggling over how to write every time" how about not teaching them a worthless way to write.
 
3. "Some boys may never master cursive, but fluent writing is important."  Why is it important again?   And I am not one to play the "sexist card" but this statement really rubs me the wrong way.
 
4. "People should still be able to read cursive, as there are many documents out there written in cursive."  First off, being able to read cursive and being able to write cursive are 2 very different things.  Anybody who has had a child knows that they can learn to recognize and read letters and numbers far before they have the ability to write them.  Also, there are many documents written in Chinese and Russian, but we are not teaching those to our children.
 
5. "You need to expose them to different writing, have them be able to practice, but for their own fluency and mastery, they need explicit instruction on where they are in their developmental stage"  I'm not really sure what she is trying to say here.  It almost seems to me that she is arguing against teaching cursive in schools since not all children will be at the correct "developmental stage" to learn it.  I'm not sure though, at this point it seems like children will continue to learn cursive because some lady thinks it's a good idea.
 
If you haven't figured it out yet, I am against teaching cursive in school.  Cursive is an illegible form of writing.  In fact, in Washington (state) a law was passed in 2006 which states, "If a prescription isn't hand-printed, typed or electronically generated, it can't be filled."    It is essentially illegal for doctors to write prescriptions in cursive.   
 
Here is a sampling of the comments that people shared in support of cursive:
 
- "I think we need to teach the basics of the fundamentals, this being one of them ! [sic]"  When did cursive become fundamental?  And what exactly does the writer mean by "the basics of the fundamentals" anyway?  What a dolt…
 
- "Sometimes learning is done simply for the sake of learning and each piece of knowledge enriches our lives … You will NEVER waste your time learning something new!"  I feel obliged to bring up making bombs and cooking meth again.
 
- "Children need to be able to Read cursive, the best way to learn is to be able to read and write it. Therefore it should be taught. I think that sums it all up."  Boy, I'd like to see this guys solution to world hunger… "People are hungry, they should be able to eat, the best way to eat is with food.  Therefore they should get food.  I think that sums it all up."
 
- "I think it's important to have good handwriting skills. I treasure the pieces of handwriting that I have found since my parents have died. Yes, the keyboard skills are important, but they don't leave a lasting example of someone."  And how exactly does printing not fulfill your desire to leave a lasting impression?  My printing style is just as unique as my cursive style.  I do like to go back and see my grandma's writing in recipe books and old letters, but her writing  would still exist without cursive.
 
- "You need cursive to sign your own name on documents. Yes, it is still needed."  No you don't.   Most people use something that has elements of cursive, but it is certainly not cursive.  Having or using a signature that is plain, outright cursive would be no more unique that the way you print your name.  Signatures are as unique as the individual wants it to be. They are certainly not cursive
 
- And finally this:
"And I guess next question is should we teach basic arithmetic? After all everyone has a calculator in their cell phone."  Comparing learning how to write in cursive to learning basic arithmetic is one of the single most asinine things I have ever heard.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I remember being really excited to learn cursive when I hit third grade. It didn't turn out to be what I thought it was going to be. I didn't get to learn all those words until fifth grade.

Word verification: exterifi - Harassing a former spouse.

Misty Moncur said...

Laugh out loud funny. Hey, Dan, is it any wonder Kristin married into this family?

...um...slow news day? Wow! And such excellent commentary.

Can I link to this on my facebook? I'm going to.